Monday, October 8, 2012

Praying for Miracles

I recently read an article where the writer stressed the idea of praying for miracles. He brought up the point that if we truly believe God can perform miracles, then why aren't we praying for miracles? "What you believe shapes how you pray. And what you pray shapes you."

This same writer challenged his own thoughts and changed his frustration from a nearby screaming baby to a half-hearted, selfish prayer for the baby to stop crying so that he no longer had to listen to it. The crying continued. He then got serious and said a sincere prayer for God to provide comfort for the baby. He even went as far as praying that the baby would smile. Low and behold, the baby stopped crying and after a couple seconds even started laughing.

This got me thinking. How many times do I mumble half-hearted prayers to God for immediate relief to a small problem? God, please make my head stop hurting. God, please give me the strength to get through this hard time. God, please help me find sponsors for some of the unsponsored students. If I take the writer's stance about praying what we believe, then I have very little faith in what God can do.

If I pray what I claim to believe, my prayers should be more like God, help me find sponsors for the remaining 103 unsponsored students. Not only them, but let me have people on the waiting list for next year's new students. God, please use this hard time to teach me what's needed to do something really great.

The information in the article presented a challenge not only to the writer, but to me as well. Consider this my vow to narrow my focus and be more specific in my prayers, each asking for miracles. If I don't, how can I say I believe in an Almighty God that can do incomprehensible things?

No comments:

Post a Comment